Identifying Birds on Jekyll Island – Bird Types and Characteristics for Bird Watching Success
Jekyll Island is a single of Georgia’s leading websites for identifying birds. Considering the fact that the island is on the Atlantic Flyway (and is one of the 18 internet sites along the Colonial Coastline Birding Trail), it’s frequented by a variety of feathered fliers migrating, like snow birds, to improved climes.
The finest instances for identifying birds on Jekyll are the spring and drop seasons. A notably great time is in Oct, all through the Jekyll Island Birding and Mother nature Pageant.
What kind birds can you see on Jekyll Island? There are numerous prominent species that both go to the island or make it their house. This listing, though not complete, provides suggestions for recognizing some of the island’s winged website visitors.
- Wood Storks – these huge wading birds (section of the stork relatives) are mainly white, with brown heads and black faces. When these birds are in flight, seem for a strip of black on the trailing edge of their wings. Their extended, down-curved bills are yellowish.
- Sandhill Cranes – the Florida subspecies of this crane often drops in on Jekyll Island. Sandhills are tall, very long-legged birds colored grey overall, with white cheeks and bare, purple-colored foreheads. These cranes are often bewildered with the Blue Heron. Sandhill Cranes, even so, fly with their necks outstretched herons fly with their necks curved into an “S” form.
- Blue Herons – yet another large wader, herons have slate-coloured feathers, reddish-brown thighs, and white heads adorned with a pair of distinctive black plumes trailing from just guiding the eyes to the again of their heads.
- Egrets – there are numerous distinct types of egrets, but most are white with grey legs and orange costs.
- Gulls – numerous dozen species either check out or live on Jekyll Island. Their sizes vary from medium to large. For the most aspect, they have white and grey feathers with black markings on their heads and wings. Gulls like to hold out at the beach, and at times exceptional gulls will make an appearance.
- Piping Plovers – this is an endangered chook species. Piping Plovers are sand colored, and about the dimension of sparrows. Older people have yellow-orange legs, with black, visor-like bands across their foreheads stretching from eye to eye. They also have black rings around their necks.
- Ospreys – hawk-like raptors, ospreys grow about 2′ extensive. They are brown on their higher bodies, and are grayish on their heads and undersides. Osprey’s wings are black, and they don black “masks”.
- Bald Eagles – these majestic birds (our countrywide image) have been spotted all over the causeway, along Jekyll Creek and on Raccoon Vital. They are substantial, with black bodies, white heads and necks, and robust, curved, yellowish-orange beaks.
- Songbirds – contain the Yellow Warbler Cardinals Tanagers Grosbeaks Mockingbirds and lots of extra.
There are way also a lot of species to mention in a short short article. Your ideal wager for the right way determining birds on Jekyll Island is to carry a excellent subject information, like the Peterson Area Tutorial to the Birds of Jap and Central North America.
You are going to also need a high-quality pair of binoculars or a recognizing scope. A superior electronic digicam is a should, as well as a journal to note down the birds you identify.
Figuring out birds is easy on Jekyll Island, and you’ll generally have lots of winged subjects to exercise on. But don’t get cocky – you won’t be able to call you a true birder right until you study to acknowledge a bird by its song.
Being able to name a fowl your wanting at, nevertheless, lends a total new dimension to chicken viewing. It will go away you with a terrific emotion of gratification and accomplishment for years to arrive.